Dates and Times
Saturday 5th November 2022 11am – 5pm (arrive at 10.30am)
Birkdale School of Arts Hall, 101 Birkdale Road, Birkdale
COST: $ 80 - Members; $ 100 Non Members - includes annual membership of MATES expiring 30 September each year. Members joining after 30 June will be current for the following year.
Improvisation for Acting
"Anyone can act. Anyone can improvise." - Viola Spolin, the Grandmother of Improvisation
Improvisation can strike fear into the heart of many performers and yet it is a powerful and fantastically fun skill to have in an actor’s tool-belt. You may have seen or explored Theatre Sports in school; no matter if your experience was a good or not-so-good one, you can learn to trust yourself and your fellow players and delve into this playful world of instant theatre. And being funny is NOT a prerequisite!
SKILLS TO BE EXPLORED
- How to be an ensemble player.
- "Yes, And" - accepting each other's ideas and offers.
- Developing confidence in offering ideas for scenes.
- Defining the "who" and the "where" to make scenarios clear.
- Using status in improvisation and script work.
- Greater connection between members both new and old
- More flexibility in taking risks and making acting choices
- Greater ability to improvise in rehearsal
- The ability to use relationship and environment to communicate story
- An understanding of the psychological and physical elements of status
Wear comfortable clothes for movement. BYO water bottle.
About the Faciliator – Anne Pensilfini
Anne has a diverse range of performing experience in stage, film, and commercial work including 20+ years of improvisational comedy. Improv highlights include Cool Story Bro for Big Fork Theatre, A Midsummer Night’s Whatever for EDGE Improv, Heartbreak High for Impro Mafia, The Wake for Ho Hum and a summer improvising aboard the Disney Cruiseline in 2000. Theatre and education degrees plus extensive training in voice, movement, Shakespeare and improv inform her embodied, connected approach. Anne teaches for Big Fork Theatre, Impro Mafia, MATES Theatre and Queensland Theatre. She is a sessional academic with the Queensland University of Technology and has led improvisation and applied theatre courses for Griffith Uni and the University of Queensland. She works for Culture Hero as an Instructional Designer and Facilitator, with the joyous mission of integrating play into workplaces to positively affect company cultures.