Introduction to Theatre Directing
Learn the fundamentals of Theatre directing from Michael Beh!
For emerging and new directors.
- why stage this play – developing directorial vision
- clarifying your understanding the script
- breaking the script into performable units
- understanding and communicating character
- interpreting the script to create scenography
- imagining set and costume design within dramatic style
- the language of working with actors in rehearsal
- how to react to the offers created by actors
- what to do and say when it goes wrong
- how to manifest your directorial vision
Each participant will have the opportunity to work as a director with other participants. and will emerge with their own unique directorial concept for a chosen short play (to be confirmed before the workshop). This will include a work book that provides a foundation for future directorial work.
Michael’s understanding of directing comes from his studies as a Fulbright Fellow in the highly selective, MFA Directing Program, in the world leading Drama Department at Carnegie Melon University (USA). His study with master teachers: Mladen Kiselov (CMU), Adolf Shapiro (Moscow Art Theatre School), Mike Alfreds, Anne Bogart, August Boal and John Nobbs and Jacqui Carol are the foundation of his directorial practice. He has taught directing at QUT as well as well as directing over 55 productions in his career.
Birkdale School of Arts Hall, 101 Birkdale Rd, Birkdale
Saturday January 18, 2019
12:30pm – 5:00pm
Doors open 12:15pm for 12:30pm start.
Mates Members: $ 90
Non Members: $110 includes Membership Joining Fee